Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day TWENTY ONE - Very Productive Day

Day TWENTY ONE - June 7, 2010
Today at school I did my astronomy lesson about the galaxy and the solar system. Before I started teaching I learned that they didn’t know much about it so I had to really start from scratch explaining what asteroids, comets, and so on are. It was really interesting and since I’m not that good at drawing after my lesson I went around to each group with my laptop and showed them a picture of the solar system so they can see it better. Danielle and I also did an activity outside where we had some students represent each planet and they demonstrated to the class how they rotate around the sun.

After the lesson we played a quick game of Red Light, Green Light since we were already outside and we had the teacher, Gift, be the one to demonstrate; the kids loved seeing him sprint and freeze like a kid. The kids really enjoyed the game so I was glad we had a chance to teach them it.

When we got back in class Danielle went on with her lesson and she taught more about geography and she went on to explain about the New and Old World and colonization. Most of the students understood, but some still struggled with learning the continents.

Later we went to M.I.E. to meet up with the rest of the group and some Malawian Teachers. We were discussing the mission statement and goals we wanted to set for this study abroad program. It was a group consensus that the main goals we wanted to accomplish in the future were extending the feeding program to daily and making it more nutritious, getting more materials and better teaching methods, and getting the government to make a water pump closer to the schools.

We went into town today and of course ate at Tasty Bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment